Last updated on December 8th, 2015 at 07:37 am
For many of us, fall is the absolute best season for fashion. The heat and humidity ease up, allowing us to experiment with layers, outerwear and lots of cool patterns and textures. And what better way to top off a great autumn inspired outfit than with cool accessories? Keep reading for the best in fall/winter accessories, which includes tips on which to pieces wear, and how to pair them with your favorite autumn outfits.
Scarves are an essential accessory for autumn and winter; not only do they protect from chilly winds and plummeting temperatures, but they also add instant style to any outfit. What’s more, scarves are extremely versatile, as they go with any wardrobe and can be worn in a number of ways. For example, check out all the ways you can have fun with scarves this season:
- Choose bright colors and bold patterns to jazz up classic outfits in neutral colors.
- Let your favorite scarf double as a chic headband.
- Experiment with tying scarves in different ways.
- Mix up your scarf collection by selecting pieces in various textures: chunky knits, sleek silks and satins, wool blends, etc.
- Tie a scarf around your waist as a belt, or, for added flair, around the strap of your handbag.
- Jazz up a scarf with eye-catching brooches or pins.
Since fall wardrobes are a little more neutral and refined, jewelry is a great way to add some sparkle and shine. This season, it’s all about warm golden tones and bold statement pieces: think sleek bangles, eye-catching cocktail rings and bold pendants. And when it comes to stones, the brighter the better. Try deep green emeralds, glittering rubies, and colored diamonds. Deep pinks and purples are great, too, such as these Front Jewelers’ pink sapphire rings. Go for color and sparkle, and don’t be afraid to add daring pieces to a muted fall wardrobe.
No matter how you slice it, tights, nylons and leggings are fun, fun, fun. Choose bright shades of red, blue, green and yellow to jazz up dark colored outfits, or choose blacks and navy blues to streamline and lengthen your lower body. Also, you can extend the lifespan of some of your summer pieces by wearing tights under shorts and minis; for an easy, yet cool and funky look, add ankle boots and a comfy sweater, and you’re ready to go! Pair leggings with long tunics, sweaters, or mens wear inspired button downs, then finish off your look with flats or tall boots. And on those frigid winter days, stay warm by layering tights under jeans or slacks.
It’s time to retire those lightweight, breezy bags of summer in favor of heavier fabrics and sleeker styles. Accessorizing for fall this year, try hobos, clutches and slouchy totes in leather and suede (faux is fine if you’re on a budget). When it comes to color, choose bags that will best compliment the rest of your wardrobe; remember, though, it’s hard to go wrong with neutrals and earth tones.
While hats do serve a utilitarian purpose, there’s no reason we can’t have fun with them. This season, go beyond the classic beanie, and amp up your wardrobe with chic, stylish options like the ones listed below:
- The cloche. This style gives instant glamour. Wear it during the day or evening, and pair with a classic trench and feminine accessories.
- The fedora. Fedoras can add a touch of cool to an everyday outfit. Pair with jeans, oxfords and a sweater for a chic, streetwise look, night or day.
- Wide-brimmed hats. Floppy hats aren’t just for summer. For a decidedly autumnal effect, choose deep, rich colors and warm fabrics, e.g., a crushed velvet number in scarlet or royal blue.
- The beret. The beret is a definite upgrade from the basic beanie: it’s cool, it’s chic, and it never goes out of style.
And there you have it: the very best in fall accessories. This season, have fun with your wardrobe, and dare to stand out with bold, eye-catching accessories.