Staying in Longboat Key with Kids
Longboat Key is the perfect location for a family getaway to experience the sun and fun of Florida. With nearby activities catering to every age group and activity level, you can be sure to find something for every one of your kids to enjoy. Make your next vacation a memorable one by checking out these five family-friendly ideas.
Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium
Image Source: Flickr
An aquarium with exhibits and activities for every age group. Help feed seahorses or sharks or take a guided kayak tour. Check the website before you go, for reservation, age, or other requirements.
- Location: 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota, Florida, 34236.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., year-round.
- Admission: Adult (13 and older), $22. Youth (aged 3-12), $16. Children 2 and under, free.
Ringling Circus Museum
Six stops in one beautiful location! This location includes The Tibbals Learning Center, Museum of Art, Ca’d’Zan, Historic Asolo Theater, Bayfront Gardens, and the Original Circus Museum showcase the history of the circus. Kids will love the miniature circus, animals, and seeing how many siblings can fit in a clown car.
Parents will love the art and beauty of The Museum of Art and the historic mansion, Ca’d’Zan.
- Location: 5401 Bay Shore Rd, Sarasota, Florida, 34243
- Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.
- Admission: adult, $25 (a three-day pass is $35). Children 6-17, $5 (a three-day pass is $10). Children 5 and under, free.
Image Source: Wikipedia
No visit to Longboat Key is complete without a day at the beach. Family-friendly Coquina Beach has everything you need, including picnic tables, grills, concessions, changing rooms, and more. Not to mention the soft white sand, shallow water, shells, and occasionally dolphins. And, if one day isn’t enough, there are family-friendly accommodations nearby.
- Location: 1800 Gulf Dr, Longboat Key, Florida, 34217
- Hours: Sunrise to sunset
- Admission: Free
Myakka River State Park
For the outdoorsy, Myakka River State Park is a slice of heaven. Offering lake tours, kayaking, hiking, freshwater fishing, and even a treetop canopy walkway, Myakka River State Park lets you experience the natural beauty of Florida. Visit for the day, or stay and play at the campgrounds, primitive campsites, or log cabins.
- Location: 13208 State Rd 72, Sarasota, Florida, 34241
- Hours: 8 a.m. to sunset
- Admission: $2 – $6 per person or vehicle
Manatee Viewing Center
Image Source: Maxpixel
The Manatee Viewing Center is part of the Apollo Beach Big Bend Power Station. The two have coexisted since the manatees discovered the warm waters around the plant. Learn how nature and technology cohabitate here, then climb the 50-foot observation tower and see for yourself.
- Location: 6990 Dickman Rd, Apollo Beach, Florida, 33572
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, Nov. 1 through April 15. Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Easter.
- Admission: Free
Whether you’re looking for the peace of the ocean or the excitement of feeding sharks, all roads lead to Longboat Key. You’ll find something for everyone, big or small.
Featured Image Source: Flickr