This article does contain affiliate links. A sample of some of the products mentioned below were given to me free of charge to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.
Eczema affects people of all ages but is primarily seen in children, and my son is one of those children. According to the National Eczema Society, if you have eczema, your skin may not produce as many fats and oils as other people’s, and will be less able to retain water. The protective barrier is not as good as it should be…allowing bacteria or irritants to pass through more easily, your skin breaks down more easily, quickly becoming irritated, cracked and inflamed. Seanie has had eczema since he was only 2 months old. I didn’t like the idea of using a topical steroid on my son’s skin, so I sought out natural ways to moisturize his skin and treat the inflammation during outbreaks. A great eczema treatment can make you or your child’s quality of life much better.
Here are some cleaners that I’ve used over the years on Seanie. These products are often recommended by dermatologists.
- Dove© bar soap for sensitive skin – This bar pampers sensitive skin with Dove ¼ moisturizing cream, and a truly mild formula that’s fragrance-free, hypoallergenic and unscented.
- Stelatopia Cream Cleanser – Protects and softens the skin with superfatted and anti-drying agents
- Cetaphil© Gentle Skin Cleanser – It rinses off easily and will not strip the skin of natural oils.
- CeraVe© Hydrating Cleanser – This cleanser works by trapping ingredients within multi-layered vesicles that are slowly released, layer by layer throughout the day, penetrating deep into the skin to moisturize and nourish.
Here are some of my favorite ointments, cremes and lotions for moisturizing my son’s dry skin during flair-ups.
- Cortizone 10 Intensive Healing Lotion Eczema and Itchy Dry Skin – This was the first moisturizer that I found for my son that stopped him from itching.
- No Time For Eczema – This is my favorite new product! It’s advanced anti-itch therapy for my son’s skin. Not only does it work great but it’s also fun for little guy to put on before school and after bathtime. It temporarily relieves minor skin irritation and itching due to rashes and eczema.
- Eucerin Eczema Relief Body Creme – I like this creme because it’s fragrance, dye and steroid free. It protects and helps prevent the very dry, irritated skin associated with eczema. The oatmeal, licochalcone and ceramides in this cream sooth my son’s skin.
How do you deal with flare ups?
This is really helpful. Eczema sounds so uncomfortable for the little ones. I was really worried about this since it runs in the family.
My daughter has eczema. I will have to try this with her!
Eczema is awful to deal with! This looks like a great product to help combat it, so hard with kids cause they don’t understand.
Luckily, we don’t suffer from this but, thank-you for the insight. Will pass this on though, so helpful.
My girls have eczema. I use the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser as their soap. I will have to try this with them.
I deal with this and it’s awful. I am glad there is relief for those who need it.
My friend’s daughter had eczema when she was a baby. It’s no fun. This advanced anti-itch therapy sounds like a great help for it.
Always great when you can find a non-prescription solution to a problem. Looks like you’ve got a pretty good handle on your little guy’s symptoms.